This weekend I am brunching, lounging and hanging out by the fire watching a chick flick with the girls. It’s two and half days of sipping coffee and wine, chatting into the wee hours of the night and doing – absolutely nothing.
It only happens maybe once or twice a year, but whenever we get together it’s a weekend of good food, fun and laughter. I was in charge of breakfast this morning and a friend shared a new recipe with me and it turned out pretty fabulous, if I do say so myself. So indulge in a little R&R yourself this weekend – and enjoy some cheesy sausage & croissant casserole – yum!
– 1 lb. ground pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean’s)
– 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
– 1 tsp. table salt
– 6 green onions, sliced
– 1 (13.22 oz.) package mini croissants (about 24), torn
– cooking spray
– 3 cups milk
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
– 1 cup (8 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Cook sausage 8 minutes in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to crumble. Toss together sausage, Parmesan and next 3 ingredients; arrange in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together milk and next two ingredients; pour over sausage mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours. (I put it all together yesterday evening and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The buttery croissant soaks up all the egg and milk mixture to later become crusty and golden – so delicious!)
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover casserole, and sprinkle with Gruyere. Bake 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
Enjoy the beautiful weekend, friends!