I’ve never made a pecan pie before this Thanksgiving. I’m pretty sure it’s going to become a holiday tradition from here on out. My husband doesn’t often eat sweets but he had one request and that was for me to make the most delectable, ooey-gooey, rich pecan pie for Thanksgiving.
I consulted a co-worker who said she had a no-fail recipe that was guaranteed to go over well. Not knowing any better, I followed her advice, and I’m so glad to say – it was a hit! I’ll tell you my little recipe secret – you just have to promise me you’ll give it a try this holiday season. The recipe came from none other than the back of the Karo Dark Syrup bottle!
– 1 cup Karo® Dark Syrup
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup sugar
– 2 tablespoons butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
– 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) whole pecans
– 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie crust (I used Pillsbury’s refrigerated pie crusts)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix dark syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie crust.
3. Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes (see tips for doneness, below). Cool for 2 hours on wire rack before serving.
RECIPE TIPS: Pie is done when center reaches 200°F. Tap center surface of pie lightly – it should spring back when done. For easy clean up, spray pie pan with cooking spray before placing pie crust in pan. If pie crust is over-browning, cover edges with foil. Place the pies on a cookie sheet before placing in the oven – this will catch any drips in case the pie overflows a little (like mine did!).
This recipe was so easy – I doubled it to make two pies for the two Thanksgiving dinners we were attending. Plus, I added in extra pecans, don’t be afraid to! It ensures there are plenty of pecans in every bite. I hope you enjoy – they were certainly crowd pleasers!
Have a very merry Saturday!