When I’m not making breakfast tacos with the boys on Saturday mornings, I like to mix things up – literally – in a bowl, and turn out some scrumptious homemade blueberry muffins. Combing through my latest BH&G issue and I came across this recipe that goes step-by-step to make fool-proof muffins.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– 2/3 cup buttermilk (for a little tang)
– 1/2 cup sour cream (change out for Greek yogurt for you health nuts)
– 2 eggs
– 5 Tbsp. butter, melted
– 1 cup fresh blueberries and/or raspberries
– 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries, blueberries, and/or cranberries (this puts the uber in uber-berry muffins)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In a 2-cup measure whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and 3 Tbsp. of butter; add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Gently fold in fresh and dried fruit.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full. Bake 15 minutes or until golden-brown. (Use the toothpick trick if you’re unsure they’re done.) Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Add a little orange peel for a spring finish. Cool in cups on wire rack 5 minutes. Makes 12 servings.
These babies turn out so beautifully moist and fall apart with a perfect crumble. The best part is muffins like these save so well that I bag them individually for a quick grab-and-go breakfast come Monday morning. Enjoy this beautiful spring Saturday lovelies!