I am very excited to share some of my own useful home organizing tips & tricks. Enjoy!
- Create a drop-off location or a mudroom for all of your out-the-door essentials. Location in your home is key! Make it the most convenient place in your home – whether it’s next to your front door, or if you tend to exit and enter out a side or back door (like me), it has to be the last place you see when you leave your home and the first place you see when you enter. A future post will show how I created my “mudroom” out of nothing more than a wall.
- I know we live in a digital world, but paper still exists. Being a graphic designer myself, I have a love for paper. Dedicate a 3-ring binder to recipes, gardening and organization tips, paint samples, design ideas, etc. I keep mine in playfully patterned binders similar to these. Place papers in clear sheet protectors and they make a quick go-to reference guide.
- Create an entry that is both stylish and functional. Different from your drop-off location, this is a place that you may not use every single day, but it’s useful for when it’s necessary. I scoured Pinterest for ideas and finally completed my entry and I love it! A basket corrals shoes (and wandering socks left around), a tall lamp provides just enough lighting in the early morning, and of course beautiful artwork or family photos inspire. I tied all of these elements around a vintage sofa table which also allows a place for the hubby to drop his keys at the end of the day.
- A corresponding topic to tip #2: Respond to paper in 1 of 3 (actually 4) ways: pay, respond, file and my favorite – trash. This nifty paper tray from IKEA does just the trick to keep bills, invites and important paperwork all in place.
- Store like items in your home all in the same place, according to their use and purpose. For example: collect all entertaining pieces in one place such as a buffet or sideboard cabinet in your dining area. Gather candlesticks, votives, placemats, cloth napkins, and large serving dishes all together. This way, when the unexpected in-laws “drop by” you’ll be ready to set a beautiful table in a snap!
Last but not least – enjoy making your home your own!